Sit in Yoga to keep the body and mind healthy. Read the blog and know about the best sitting hatha yoga poses.
Yoga is the holistic science of restoring health and well being. The ancient art, with its various aspects, helps to achieve a wholesome benediction of the body, mind, and soul. Asana, being one of the main aspects of the ancient art comes with a different sequence and each sequence is designed in a way to bestow the Yogi with profound benefits.
Sitting yoga asanas are great to build the inner strength, improve flexibility, and sculpt the body without straining it. Seated yoga poses are the ideal ways to start the practice for the beginners and if you’re someone who is new to the mat, begin with a preset sequence of sitting Hatha yoga poses.
Hatha Yoga means Ha-Sun and Tha-Moon that signifies the balance of the sun and moon of the body. Hatha is one of the traditional classic yoga forms that has given rise to many other styles of yoga.
To start off, try these best sitting hatha yoga asanas.
Dandasana (Staff Pose)
Known as the warm-up pose, the asana is the base pose for many seated poses. The pose strengthens the back muscles and abdomen, stretches the shoulders and muscles, improves posture, cures sciatica, relieves asthma, and calms the mind.
• Sit straight on the floor with legs stretched out in front of you and hands beside the body.
• Keep the legs and spine erect. Lengthen the spine and press the feet and hips against the floor.
• Hold the pose for 30 seconds.
Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend Pose)
A pose with a lot of benefits majorly helps in dealing with diabetes and high blood pressure issues. The asana is also great for the back problems. It enhances spine health and flexibility, improves digestion, combats menstrual and menopause discomfort, helps in reducing weight, and so much more.
• Sit erect on the floor with legs stretched out in front and feet together.
• Inhale and raise your arms overhead and as you exhale, bend forward folding the torso at the hips.
• Place your forehead on the knees and stretch your arms out and hold your feet with the hands.
• Breathe deeply and slowly and hold the pose for 30-60 seconds.
Matsyasana (Fish Pose)
The asana aims at balancing the entire being; Matyasana is an amazing pose that is packed with a lot of benefits. It instigates the absorption of nutrients, releases muscle tension, enhances respiratory functioning, relieves back pain, massages abdomen, and digestive organs, improves postures, etc.
• Lie flat on your back on the floor with feet together and hands on the thighs.
• Now fold your legs in a cross-legged position where the feet cross each other in the middle.
• Inhale and lift your chest, shoulders, and back off the floor, and ensure that the head is also lifted.
• Breathe normally and hold the pose as long as you feel comfortable.
Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Lord of Fishes Pose)
One of the most amazing and easily practiced sitting hatha yoga postures, Ardha Matsyendrasana enhances spine flexibility, relieves stiffness, cures slipped disc, massages abdominal organs, improves digestion, helps people with diabetes, enhances blood and oxygen circulation, cures a urinary infection, and benefits menstrual disorders.
• Sit erect on the floor with legs stretched outward. Fold the left leg and place the left foot beside the right hip.
• Now overlap the right leg over the left knee and place beside it. Now, turn your waist rightward.
• Now place your right hand behind you and left on the right knee. Hold the pose for a minute. Release and repeat on the other side.
Padmasana (Lotus Pose)
It a meditative pose asana that helps you to relax the mind and calm the brain, ease sciatica and menstrual issues, stretch the knees and ankles, activate pelvis, abdomen, bladder, and spine, awaken the Chakra, build energy, and ease childbirth (if practiced during pregnancy).
• Sit erect on the floor with legs stretched out and then bend your left knee. With the help of your hand, place the left foot on the right thigh.
• Now do the same with the right leg. Doing so you attain cross-legged pose. Place your hands on the knees in Gyan Mudra.
• Hold the pose for few minutes and then repeat the pose placing another leg on the top.
Practice this easy sitting hatha yoga asanas and imbibe them in your daily and regular practice to avail more profound benefits. Get introduced to a better version of the Self.